Can woody-dpkg exclude directory subtrees from being installed?

Hi,

a few months ago, it was discussed if dpkg could be configured to
leave directory subtrees from being installed. For example, our server
systems are missing man-db, so the entire /usr/share/man subtree is
wasted disk space. We could also live without /usr/share/doc on the
productive machines since we don't read docs there anyway.

Has this been implemented in dpkg for woody? Did I miss this feature
popping up? There doesn't seem something like this being documented in
the man page.

symlinking /usr/share/man to /dev/null doesn't seem to work, the
directory gets recreated on package installation.

Thanks ;)

Greetings
Marc