Re: 0.01-6 > 0.1-3 ?????

Don't Cc me on random mailing list posts. Geez.

On Tue, Apr 23, 2002 at 04:51:20PM +1000, Glenn McGrath wrote:
> > > It should be broken down at each decimal point, and the decimal point
> > > retained
> > > i.e. 1.02.4 brakes down to compare in order 1, 0.02, 0.4
> > No, it shouldn't. Consider, eg, treating 2.2.9 and 2.2.10 as "2, 0.2,
> > 0.9" and "2, 0.2, 0.10".
> Yes, i am obviously wrong, trying to compare 0.9 and 0.10 is incorrect

No, trying to compare 0.9 and 0.10 is perfectly reasonable, it just has
a different result when we're talking about version numbers and when
we're talking about decimal fractions.

Get it through your skull already. It's not difficult.

> > If you're really so ignorant that you don't understand the way it
> > currently works and why it works that way, and so lazy that you can't
> > even be bothered looking for the obvious problems that suggestion would
> > cause that make it not even worth considering in passing, you shouldn't
> > be posting to this list. The above idiocy isn't even worth the time it
> > takes to hit "d".
> You are obviously a reasonable and understanding person, i hope you get to
> moderate who is allowed to post to devel.

If being unreasonable is the only or the easiest way to get -devel to be
a useful list that's worth subscribing to, I'm all for it.

For reference, ignorance is a disease that's treated by reading the
copious documentation (in this case debian-policy) and talking to people
on -mentors. Laziness, you'll have to grow out of on your own.

Cheers,
aj

     ``BAM! Science triumphs again!''
                    -- http://www.angryflower.com/vegeta.gif