Re: L10n of Debconf templates

Hi,

At Fri, 19 Apr 2002 10:00:31 +0200,
Michael Piefel wrote:

> Am 19.04.02 um 00:05:14 schrieb Tollef Fog Heen:
> > Would anybody weep if we deprecated putting all the translations in
> > one file?
>
> I wouldn't weep. Seperate files is a very reasonable thing to do.

If we don't use UTF-8, one file with various languages means one file
with various encodings.

One file with various encoding brings difficulty editing multibyte
encodings.

For example, EUC-JP-aware (i.e., Japanese-enabled) editor may destroy
byte sequences which cannot be interpreted as EUC-JP.  Editors which
don't destory any byte sequences (i.e., editors which treat the contents
as byte sequences, not as characters) are not Japanese (Korean
Chinese)-capable.

Thus, it is a very bad idea to build one file with various encodings.
(I am always forced to use tricky way to edit some of Debian webpage
files which contain various languages in one file.  I hope I (or someone)
will have time to improve this situation.)

---
Tomohiro KUBOTA <kubota@debian.org>
http://www.debian.or.jp/~kubota/
"Introduction to I18N"  http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/intro-i18n/