Re: ITP: libsocket++ - Socket abstraction library for C++

On Wed, 17 Apr 2002, Junichi Uekawa wrote:

> > I intent to package libsocket++, a small C++ library that abstracts
> > network sockets. It provides buffered reads/writes and address family
> > independent handling of sockets.

> Could you tell me why you are using
> -release @RELEASE@ instead of -version 0:0:0 ?

The regular libtool versioning scheme is only good for C libraries, i.e.
where you can exactly tell when an interface has been added, changed or
removed. For C++, this is difficult, since you need to take all sorts of
compiler characteristics into account. The basic plan is to increment
micro if the header file did not change, minor if it changed, but
recompiling the app would still work, and major if recompiling wouldn't
help either.

   Simon

--
GPG public key available from http://phobos.fs.tum.de/pgp/Simon.Richter.asc
 Fingerprint: 040E B5F7 84F1 4FBC CEAD  ADC6 18A0 CC8D 5706 A4B4