Re: XFree 4.2.0 - again

On Tue, Apr 16, 2002 at 05:14:51AM +0300, Lasse Karkkainen wrote:
> You are probably sick and tired of this topic, but ...
> Yes, it really has been three (3) months (!) since it was released.

so?  4.1 works just fine.

> Time to throw some gasoline on the flames ... Branden apparently is
> incapable of releasing it. So, I suggest that anyone, with enough
> knowledge and TIME, reading this, would volunteer as XFree package
> maintainer. Branden's comments suggest that he just doesn't have
> enough time for that.

this may shock the hell out of Branden but i think he does an
*excellent* job with the XFree packages.

i may have some disagreements with him on various issues, but i have no
problem at all with the quality or frequency of his work.  debian needs
more developers of his caliber. he took on X (an incredibly difficult
set of packages) when everybody else had too much sense to even think
about doing it and has done a fantastic job with it.

there's a lot more to packaging a program than just compiling it and
hoping that it mostly works on your own system.  if you want that kind
of "quality-control" then try redhat's contrib packages.

craig sanders <cas@taz.net.au>

Fabricati Diem, PVNC.
 -- motto of the Ankh-Morpork City Watch