Re: Faster Release Cycle = More Up to date Packages...

On Sat, Apr 13, 2002 at 10:57:57AM +0200, Marc Haber wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Apr 2002 10:15:05 +0100, Carlos Sousa <csousa@tvtel.pt>
> wrote:
> >testing is, in my opinion, the feature that sets Debian apart from all
> >other Linux distributions. It's as if woody is released every day.
>
> If we had a security team working for testing, testing would be the
> distribution of choice to use.

Of course I can talk only for myself, but I use testing only very
reluctantly on production servers, because

*) I have to recheck whether everything worked out right after an
   update.
*) Update all my servers at the same day so I have the same versions
   everywhere.
*) Keep up-to-date with global conversions like the sdl stuff, the
   python transition and what else, which force me to hold most stuff
   for indefinate(sp?) time.

Testing is great for my workstation where I want recent software and I
don't mind slight glitches, but I can evade the catastrophes of
unstable, but I feel uncomfortable using it on servers.

For me Stability vs. Current Versions is no binary Yes/No decision.

Things like newer kernels (and tools), newer toolchain, newer
applications (php, apache, mysql just to name a few) are _also_
important.

Nevertheless I think you are doing a great job with Debian. It just
rocks. Thank you for providing the only distribution with the fun and
community of free software built in.

Regards, David
--
Signaturen sind wie Frauen. Man findet selten eine Vernuenftige
	-- gesehen in at.linux