Re: David D.W. Downey - Old Key 42D8F306 Signed by New Key C5A76BF6

On Wed, Apr 10, 2002 at 04:40:03PM -0700, David D. W. Downey wrote:
> For the purposes of consistency, I've signed the old lost key with the new
> key and posted both keys to the keyservers.

> I'm hereby using these emails, the signature on the old key as sent to
> the keyservers, and the websites with the old and new keys as my "chain
> of establishment" that the old keys was mine and that the new one is
> mine.

> Hopefully this will significantly establish the chain of owerships.

I don't see how we can be sure that you (the new-key owner) are you (the
old-key owner).

As I understand it, this kind of "chain of establishment" can only work
if you sign your new key with your old one. But IIUC you lost your old
private key.

I may be wrong,
Christophe

Dogs believe they are human. Cats believe they are God.