Re: g++-3.0 library support?

On Sunday 07 April 2002 22:26, King "Leo (Martin Oberzalek)" wrote:
> Hello,
>
> it's not possible linking a C++ library compiled with g++-2.9x to a C++
> application compiled with g++-3.0.
>
> We all no the reasons...
>
> My question is how I should handle this, on debian distributions that
> are based on gcc-2.9x?
>
> I have a C++ library. And I wan't to create debs for g++.2.9x and
> g++-3.0. Technically this is no problem.
>
> I created 4 debs.
>
> 1) libfoo      => shared g++-2.9x library
> 2) libfoo-dev  => development files (includes, .a, docu)
> 3) libfoo-gcc3 => shared g++3.0 library
> 4) libfoo-gcc3-dev => development files (.a only, since
>    include files and docu are the same)
>
> the g++-2.9x library files are called libfoo.so
> for g++-3.0  libfoo-gcc3.so
>
> The files of both packages are located in /usr/lib
>
> So if I wanna link an programm with the gcc-3.0 version, -lfoo-gcc3 has
> to be used and for gcc-2.9x, -lfoo.
>
> Are there any better ideas?

No, not really. One thing that I could imagine would be the dynamic linker
auto-picking the lib with the proper ABI. Another usefule feature would be if
the autotools could be extended to that extent.

However, what we really need is a more generic naming-scheme like
  <libname><interface-version>-<compilername><ABI-version>.so
The advantage would be that we would have prepared support for any compiler,
there are more than just g++ 2.x and 3.x[1]. Also, to provide some stability
for software-developers, I would suppose moving that naming-scheme to the
FHS[2].

uli

[1]: Yes, I know that some people will not move a finger to provide proper
infrastructure for eg Intel's compiler. However, providing a generic
framework will enable a smooth upgrade to g++ 3.1 and other distros that are
less reluctant to include non-free software will be more motivated to share
that scheme.
[2]: Is there anyone here who is following their development ? I wouldn't
like to crash in there unprepared with such a proposal ....