c++ and unrecognized -D option on ia64

Hi all,
  one package of mine doesn't build on ia64. Namely the package is
gtkmathview 0.3.0-4 and the build log which report the failure is at
http://buildd.debian.org/fetch.php?&pkg=gtkmathview&ver=0.3.0-4&arch=ia64&stamp=1017745642&file=log&as=raw.

I'm asking here because the failure seems to be due to the "c++"
compiler that doesn't recognize the "-Dsomething" option. I can't
reproduce the problem doing some stupid C++ test on merulo and the
upstream author (CCed) doesn't have an IA64 machine to perform some
test.

Any hint?

--
Stefano Zacchiroli - undergraduate student of CS @ Univ. Bologna, Italy