Re: Packages file (long email) [WAS: Splitting Packages]

Daniel Burrows wrote:
On Sun, Mar 31, 2002 at 12:53:38PM +0200, Fabio Massimo Di Nitto <fabbione@fabbione.net> was heard to say:

  There are 25 packages which declare "Essential: yes" in sid.

  Why change a fundamental part of the packaging system and risk
breaking things, merely to save about 350 bytes of disk space?

  Daniel

The point is not saving only 350 bytes. But reduce the number of possible keywords available in the Packages file and a better organization of the entire archive.
If we always have to stick 100% to Policies and possible breaks than
we should just leave things like they are now. People rised a serious
problem and the idea is to try to optimize as much as we can.
IF and only IF we can come to a real better techincal solution noone
will tell us not to change policies. It's obvious that during a transition phase things can break but unstable is there.. ;)

Thanks
Fabio