[Date Prev][Date Next] [Thread Prev][Thread Next] [Date Index] [Thread Index]

Re: Bug#139945: ITP: prokyon3 -- a multithreaded MP3 manager and tag editor for Linux.



On Wed, Mar 27, 2002 at 11:32:02AM -0600, Steve Langasek wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 27, 2002 at 04:21:32PM +0100, Jeroen Dekkers wrote:
> > On Wed, Mar 27, 2002 at 10:19:39AM +0100, Ulrich Eckhardt wrote:
> 
> >> Hmmm, I see another common thing there: if the OS-core where a proggy is 
> >> developed on is Linux, the program is called a Linux-program. Few people 
> >> really care to look at what they are using ....
> 
> > Yes, first of all they forget to give GNU credit. You should not do
> > that for RMS' ego, but because the project deserves it, they wrote a
> > big part of the OS and made Linux possible. Also if nobody knows where
> > some programs come from, they also can't see that they aren't actually
> > maintained upstream (which is the case for some GNU utils). Besides
> > those things, the GNU philosophy is also very useful and I've never
> > seen something like that on the big "Linux" sites (or maybe I haven't
> > looked carefully, that could also be the case).
> 
> And confrontationally pointing this out to people every time they use
> the word 'Linux' alone to refer to the OS is extremely anti-social.  

And still not giving credit to people who wrote the biggest part of
the OS after being corrected isn't anti-social?

> RMS
> is a genius and a hermit.  What's *your* excuse?

There are people on IRC who call me "the Dutch RMS". Maybe that says
enough about me. And is RMS really a hermit?

> > Second, I wished it were only their words. In fact most programmers
> > don't know or don't care about portability. The amount of Linuxisms in
> > programs is very big, I think the amount of GNUisms is even bigger as
> > most developers use the GNU tools and glibc to make their programs,
> > they don't use Linux directly.
> 
> Joining RMS's "what's in a name?" crusade isn't going to make most
> programmers care about portability.  In fact, NOTHING is going to make
> most programmers care about portability, except when it's portability to
> their own platform.  

Not saying what's the right name of their OS doesn't make a difference
either. What's your point?

> As someone who takes pains to make his code as
> portable as possible, I can attest to the fact that writing portable
> code SUCKS.  It's a lot of work for very little gain.  

Although POSIX is broken, it's supported by most systems. At least the
free ones should support it. I don't see why writing POSIX compatible
code sucks.

> And while you
> can't force anyone to work on anything they don't want to in the Free
> Software community, giving them a hard time for not supporting (or
> crediting) your pet OS is a great way to trick them into /not/ doing the
> work you want them to.

Most Debian developers already care about the Hurd and/or BSD ports, I
don't see a reason to force them.

Jeroen Dekkers
-- 
Jabber supporter - http://www.jabber.org Jabber ID: jdekkers@jabber.org
Debian GNU supporter - http://www.debian.org http://www.gnu.org
IRC: jeroen@openprojects

Attachment: pgpP0IQSAbNuO.pgp
Description: PGP signature


Reply to: