Re: /etc/mailname

On Wed, Mar 27, 2002 at 10:38:11AM +1100, Matthew Palmer wrote:
> I decide to package something which has a totally different use for
> a file not otherwise owned by a package, but which is on the system and used
> by a bunch of packages (/etc/passwd, /etc/mailname et al are not good
> examples, because they are specified by policy).  But anyway, I have this
> hypothetical file which I want to use and which nobody else has a claim to
> already.
>
> My program uses this file in a completely different way to whatever else
> might already be out there.  However, since nobody else owned it (and,
> presumably, I decided to take it under my package's wing - or even if I
> didn't) there is no other package which can say "you're using it wrong".

How do you mean? Anyone can say you're using it wrong because you break
other packages. That is a grave bug.

> Honestly, I think that every file, or at least sub-directory tree root,
> should be owned by a package, except in very select circumstances.  There
> must be good reasons for it not being so, but it's protection if nothing
> else.

This is one such file that can't be in the dpkg domain because it would
break things. See the other subthread, up to <[🔎] 20020326165657.GB12546@cibalia.gkvk.hr>.

--
     2. That which causes joy or happiness.