Re: /etc/mailname

>>"Matthew" == Matthew Palmer <mjp16@ieee.uow.edu.au> writes:

 Matthew> OK, let's forget dpkg -S.  I'll go another tack.

 Matthew> I decide to package something which has a totally different
 Matthew> use for a file not otherwise owned by a package, but which
 Matthew> is on the system and used by a bunch of packages
 Matthew> (/etc/passwd, /etc/mailname et al are not good examples,
 Matthew> because they are specified by policy).  But anyway, I have
 Matthew> this hypothetical file which I want to use and which nobody
 Matthew> else has a claim to already.

 Matthew> My program uses this file in a completely different way to
 Matthew> whatever else might already be out there.  However, since
 Matthew> nobody else owned it (and, presumably, I decided to take it
 Matthew> under my package's wing - or even if I didn't) there is no
 Matthew> other package which can say "you're using it wrong".

	Fortunately, most debian developers are grownup, and we tend
 to try to cooperate. Thus, before you appropriate a file not
 mentioned in policy, or known to exist, you try and ensure that name
 space clashes would be minimized (generally by making the file name
 related to your package name).  (/etc/emacs21/site-startd.d/blah are
 examples). If a clash does occur, one tries to resolve it amicably.

	This is not a serious problem, and we already have over 9000
 packages. Kinda takes the wind out of the sails of the conflicts
 argument.

	manoj
--
 Have the courage to live.  Anyone can die.  -- Robert Cody