Re: /etc/mailname

On Wed, Mar 27, 2002 at 02:20:38PM +1100, Matthew Palmer <mjp16@ieee.uow.edu.au> was heard to say:
> OK, so if there is a file used by a package but not owned by it, how do I
> find out that a package already uses that file?

  How often is this going to happen in practice?

  In share and lib, we put everything in a directory named after the
package, with a few exceptions which won't be an issue here.
  (shared libraries aren't, but those should always be shipped in the
   package)

  Similarly, in /etc, files get named in some way after the package
the vast majority of the time.  (vimrc, /etc/apache, etc)  In fact,
the only examples that spring to mind where this *isn't* the case
are either hallowed by tradition (printcap) or are common files for
a number of packages, with names that seem unlikely to be used for
some other purpose.

  Given that it hasn't happened yet with thousands of packages in the
archive, I think that it's not worth losing sleep over.  It's probably
less effort to catch these things via bug-filing than via other
mechanisms.  It might be useful to have a list of such files somewhere
for informational purposes, but I doubt it would be worth the effort
necessary to compile it.

  Daniel

|          Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the               |
|          process he does not become a monster.  And when you look           |
|          into an abyss, the abyss also looks into you.                      |
|           -- Friedrich Nietzsche                                            |
\---- Be like the kid in the movie!  Play chess! -- http://www.uschess.org ---/