Re: Bloated package file (Was: Re: ITP: mencal -- A menstruation calendar)

On Tue, Mar 26, 2002 at 04:18:13PM +0100, Jeroen Dekkers wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 25, 2002 at 10:52:52PM -0600, Adam Majer wrote:
> > >
> > > I think there are some changing needed to let grow Debian in the
> > > future, woody showed that to use. But I promised not to talk about
> > > this until woody is released. :)
> >
> > My suggestion would be to use an efficient disk based database
> > and dpkg and apt use less than, lets say, 1M ram at any point [for
> > low end systems]. This will/should be done sometime soon. Maybe
> > an experimental release is required. I guess I'll have some work
> > to do soon :)
>
> My message was actually more referring to things like base not being
> in a good state etc.
>
> Are the algoritms used in apt/dpkg ever optimized? Maybe that could
> also be a problem.

I don't like the way Packages in handled. That's what the problem is
and not necessarly the rest of dpkg.

> > As to all the people wanderring why the hell I started this thing
> > for the ITP of the calendar; I guess it's the straw that broke the
> > camel's back. Patato->Woody more that doubled the number of
> > packages right now. It went from fine to horrible upgrade
> > on a 486. Woody+1 has to have much  better support for low end
> > systems or we might as well go the "Corporate Way" and have
> > 64-128M req. mem. [or at least sizeof(Packages)<<2]
>
> Why is the "corporate way" requiring 64-128 MB?

I'm referring the the trend in the industry when it comes to hardware
req. For example, you can't find a new game with a lower min. req.
MS Windows has also bloated beyond of what I would consider
efficient. True, not all programs are suited for a low end machine, but
at least the base should be.

> I think you provided the wrong solution in your mail: not accepting
> mencal. IMHO the real solution is making apt/dpkg better.

Yes, but the camel goes off on the straw that broke its back and not
the stuff that's already there!

- Adam