Re: Bloated package file (Was: Re: ITP: mencal -- A menstruation calendar)

On Mon, Mar 25, 2002 at 04:49:51AM -0600, Adam Majer wrote:
> True, but I'm much more concerned with bloating Packages [sorry that I didn't
> say that in the first place]. On low end machines, like m64k or 386/486
> with little ram (<32M) it becomes a horrid process to try to update the
> system just because Packages is getting out of control.

Yeesh, it's not all *that* bad unless you're trying to update every day.
I've got m68ks, 386s and 486s running unstable and yes it's slow but
then so are *alot* of things on those systems.  Additionally, Debian is
not very likely to 'collapse under its own weight' for those who are
concerned about that.  The speed of Debian's increase is hardly
outrunning the decrease in hardware costs (I'm able to easily run my own
full debian mirror with only probably $400 in hardware, less if you just
count the disk since I had the other hardware anyway, and $30/mo in
bandwidth).

A better solution would be nice but the idea of "Oh, we don't want that
free software in our distribution because .." is ridiculous if someone
is offering to package it.

	Stephen