Re: /etc/mailname

On Tue, Mar 26, 2002 at 01:33:28AM +0100, Santiago Vila wrote:
> Yves Arrouye wrote:
> > [ about /etc/mailname ].
> > But some package should own it yes.
>
> It has never been a requirement that every file in the system
> should be owned in the "dpkg -S" sense by some package.

While it's not a requirement, I'd like to point out one reason why I'd
like /etc/mailname owned by some package.

It's documentation: When I am looking for information about some config
file, I usually do dpkg -S filename to find out the package the file
belongs to. Then I expect appropriate documentation in
/usr/share/doc/packagename, or in some manualpage listed in
dpkg -L packagename. One great thing about debian is that this
usually works.

For other files, of course, basic documentation is contained in comments
within the config file. But this is not the case for /etc/mailname, and
I think it would not be easily possible to add comments to this file
without breaking some programs.

Jan