Re: Bloated package file (Was: Re: ITP: mencal -- A menstruation calendar)

On Tue, Mar 26, 2002 at 03:42:04PM +1200, Nick Phillips wrote:

> Not forgetting that it's currently all *english* descriptions, which are
> worse than useless to non-english-speakers on slow connections.

Indeed.

> > Granted, it might cause you problems if you wanted to use the grep-dctrl
> > family extensively, but it's easy enough to mirror the entire thing into
> > a local file (or database, even) which is functionally equivalent to the
> > Packages file.
>
> This should be built locally and include the selection of languages desired
> on your system.
>
> Shouldn't it?

That was something of the implication (at least, building it locally).
Doing so in the user's choice of language is, to my white-bread self, just
a nice bonus - but I think it's a worthy cause, even so, and becomes pretty
much *trivial* in such a layout, whereas right now, it's actually rather
remarkably otherwise.

Wasn't "better locale/language support" one of the possible goals of
Woody+1? (Granted, all of this is really tied into some other major things
that might need overhaul after the release).