Re: ITP: mencal -- A menstruation calendar

On Mon, 2002-03-25 at 14:23, Thomas Bushnell, BSG wrote:
> "Adam Majer" <adamm@galacticasoftware.com> writes:
>
> > This is NOT about _censorware_ or other crap like that. It about making
> > the Packages file less than a gig. Why the hell do we even have 386 as
> > a platform? or m64k? When you need tons of ram just to load Packages?
>
> Ah, that's a different problem.
>
> It was once said on Usenet: "we can't add that group, because rn can
> only support N groups" (rn used a static array).
>
> But that was a bug in rn.  It may well be that it's time for Debian to
> think about how to split up the Packages file so it doesn't require
> re-downloading the entire database on every update to it.
>
> Do you have suggestions about how to fix that problem?

This is probably a stupid question, but why does apt-get update grab the
Packages file when the Packages.gz file is much smaller and "zcat
Packages.gz | diff - Packages" shows they are identical? I'm sure I'm
missing something obvious :)

I think anything involving actually splitting up the Packages file will
just become impossible to maintain. It'd be really hard on the users to
have to constantly tinker with their settings to find packages they
need.

--
Grahame Bowland                       Email: grahame@ucs.uwa.edu.au
University Communications Services    Phone: +61 8 9380 1175