debian-sanitize^H^H^Hy

I'm flabbergasted that the idea of a "harden-feelings" package has gotten
so much legitimate response.  One would think that a group that advocates
software liberty would overwhelmingly find a subjective offensive-package
list itself offensive to the objective reason Debian exists.

I hate to sound like I'm arguing for moral relativism, so I'll make two
statements, and you can choose which one you prefer to believe:  What some
people believe is stupid.  Other people don't believe as you do, so any
list you make will, at best, be of interest to a very tiny fraction of
users.

I'd also suggest that such a package wouldn't pass the DFSG "field of
endeavour" clause.  ${foo}ists may use Debian, too.

So, you think a package is offensive?  That isn't a problem to be solved
with the packaging system.  File a "wishlist" bug with the package, asking
for a postinst notice that the package may be offensive.

Btw, R. Stallman just entered the NM queue.  He's excited about making a
sanitize-gnu package that conflicts with everything not under the GPL.  Am
I kidding?  Maybe.

						- chad

--
Chad Miller <cmiller@surfsouth.com>