Re: inappropriate racist and other offensive material

David B Harris <eelf@sympatico.ca> wrote:

> I would advocate maintainers censoring their packages if the content was
> of a racist. But in order for that condition to be met, we need two
> things:
>
> a) A racist author.
[...]
> b) TEXT THAT IS OBVIOUSLY NOT MEANT IN A HUMOROUS FASHION.
[...]

I disagree.  I'd like Debian packages to respect the intentions of the
upstream authors.  When I download BitchX, I'd like to get the same
thing that I read about on the BitchX web pages.  Heck, maybe I want to
check out this "dirty" program everyone has been talking about -- if so,
I'd like to see the real thing.

To put it another way, the diff.gz file is not the place to make a fork.
 If you want to make changes to the program other than to correct minor
policy deviations, then make a real fork and name *yourself* as the
upstream.

All IMHO of course.  This is something there should probably be a
general policy about....

-Lex