Re: inappropriate racist and other offensive material

On Thu, Mar 14, 2002 at 08:05:09PM +0000, p wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 13, 2002 at 02:10:46PM -0800, Petro wrote:
> >     Any racism you perceive in either of those two statements is purely
> >     your own ignorance and knee-jerk political correctness.
> b.s.!  making fun of someone else's skin color is patently wrong, and i
> don't care how you want to slice it or garnish it with "red herring":

    Sure, making fun of someone's skin color is wrong, but it's *not*
    racism.

    Racism is a serious issue, and a serious problem, but making a
    comment about someones skin color is *not* racism.

> >     Main Entry: rac??ism
> >     Pronunciation: 'rA-"si-z&m also -"shi-
> >     Function: noun
> >     Date: 1936
> >     1 : a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits
> >     and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent
> >     superiority of a particular race
> >     2 : racial prejudice or discrimination
> >     - rac??ist  /-sist also -shist/ noun or adjective
> >
> >     and:
> >
> >     rac??ism   Pronunciation Key  (rszm)
> >     n.
> >     The belief that race accounts for differences in human character or
> >     ability and that a particular race is superior to others.
> >     Discrimination or prejudice based on race.
> >

> >     Personally I find racism--as defined above--to be odious, ignorant
> >     and inefficient, but that does not mean that *eveything* that
> >     mentions the color of someone's skin is a racists statement.
> >
> >     You need a thicker skin.
> >
> ...(i'm gonna let that one pass.)

> just because there isn't a "crystalline" standard as to racist
> statements doesn't mean that "anything goes."  (even "free speech" has
> limits.)

    No, it doesn't.

> any offical .deb with that type of stupidity is a waste of bandwidth.

    So are you volunteering to be the Censor for all packages? To write
    up the Debian Political Correctness Guidelines, and set up an
    auditing procedure to ensure they are followed?

    After all, we don't want any of Goldstein's writings to make their
    way in.

--
Share and Enjoy.