Re: inappropriate racist and other offensive material
- To: Petro <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Cc: Lazarus Long <email@example.com>, Adam Conrad <firstname.lastname@example.org>, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Subject: Re: inappropriate racist and other offensive material
- From: p <email@example.com>
- Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2002 20:05:09 +0000
- Message-id: <[🔎] 20020314200509.A3879@pcisys.net>
- Mail-followup-to: p <firstname.lastname@example.org>, Petro <email@example.com>, Lazarus Long <firstname.lastname@example.org>, Adam Conrad <email@example.com>, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com
- Reply-to: p <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- In-reply-to: <[🔎] 20020313221046.GD17997@auctionwatch.com>; from email@example.com on Wed, Mar 13, 2002 at 02:10:46PM -0800
- References: <DcRyL.A.iF.1S5j8@murphy> <[🔎] 20020313221046.GD17997@auctionwatch.com>
On Wed, Mar 13, 2002 at 02:10:46PM -0800, Petro wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 13, 2002 at 10:04:14AM -0800, Lazarus Long wrote:
> > On Wed, Mar 13, 2002 at 12:47:25AM -0700, Adam Conrad wrote:
> > > > -----Original Message-----
> > > > From: Lazarus Long [mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org]
> > > > Sent: Tuesday, March 12, 2002 5:55 PM
> > > > Yo family's so black, when they hold hands, it looks like a
> > > > stretch limo.
> > > > There's no excuse for racism in Debian.
> > > So, your take is that Debian should censor upstream so we can be more
> > > politically correct? If you don't appreciate the author's off-colour
> > > humour, then don't use his script(s).
> > > (PS: Yo mama so white, when she gets naked, yo daddy's retinas burn
> > > clean off)
> > Again, there is no excuse for racism in Debian. Other packages have
> > elided the inappropriate material in the past, as they should. An IRC
> > client has no business being racist. Debian is a distribution that
> > specifically caters to children; note the debian-junior project. As it
> > stands, your package is inappropriate to be on the box my daughter uses.
> Any racism you perceive in either of those two statements is purely
> your own ignorance and knee-jerk political correctness.
b.s.! making fun of someone else's skin color is patently wrong, and i
don't care how you want to slice it or garnish it with "red herring":
> Main Entry: racÂ·ism
> Pronunciation: 'rA-"si-z&m also -"shi-
> Function: noun
> Date: 1936
> 1 : a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits
> and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent
> superiority of a particular race
> 2 : racial prejudice or discrimination
> - racÂ·ist /-sist also -shist/ noun or adjective
> racÂ·ism Pronunciation Key (rszm)
> The belief that race accounts for differences in human character or
> ability and that a particular race is superior to others.
> Discrimination or prejudice based on race.
> Personally I find racism--as defined above--to be odious, ignorant
> and inefficient, but that does not mean that *eveything* that
> mentions the color of someone's skin is a racists statement.
> You need a thicker skin.
...(i'm gonna let that one pass.)
just because there isn't a "crystalline" standard as to racist
statements doesn't mean that "anything goes." (even "free speech" has
any offical .deb with that type of stupidity is a waste of bandwidth.
> Share and Enjoy.
> To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to email@example.com
> with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org