From: Ross Burton ross@burtonini.com
Date: 14 Mar 2002 14:03:53 +0000
To: debian-devel@lists.debian.org
Subject: Writing an Apt frontend

Hi,

I am thinking about writing a simple GNOME2 program based upon a routine
I do every few days:

1. `dselect update`
2. run dselect and examine the list of new and updated packages
3. remember which ones I want to upgrade
4. in a console, `apt-get -qq --print-uris install [packagenames] >uris`
5. take that file to work (dialup at home, fast connection at work),
transform the using awk into a ncftpget script and run
6. bring packages home on zip disk and drop into /var/cache/apt/archives
7. re-run `apt-get install [packagenames]

If I had a Wizard-like GUI over this I'd be very happy.  The question is
how can I access the dpkg/apt database?  I can code in C and Perl, am
learning C++ (but know Java so its just the syntax) and could learn
Python -- so what bindings are available?

Thanks for any help,
Ross
--
Ross Burton                                 mail: ross@burtonini.com