Re: inappropriate racist and other offensive material

On Wed, Mar 13, 2002 at 06:04:14PM +0000, Lazarus Long wrote:
> Again,  there is no excuse for racism in Debian.  Other packages have
> elided the inappropriate material in the past, as they should.  An IRC

An ill service to those who find censorship offensive. Which packages are
you referring to, by the way?

> client has no business being racist.  Debian is a distribution that
> specifically caters to children; note the debian-junior project.  As it
> stands, your package is inappropriate to be on the box my daughter uses.

Then uninstall it. There are alternatives. I have been very successful
with that approach - for example, I don't install the "verse" or
"display-dhammapada" packages, other people may decide not to install
the offensive fortunes, or nethack, or ...

This is a delicate matter, of course - it's difficult to draw a line at
something when the surface is so uneven and the tip of the pencil is so
dull, metaphorically speaking. There certainly is some software I would
not like to see in Debian (hint: I am German). Yet I am convinced that
an argument along the lines of "there is no excuse for N in Debian"
is too coarse to apply to almost any N. In particular when there are

And if you don't like any one of the alternatives either, you are entirely
free to generate a version more tailored to your taste, Debian being a
free software system.