Re: inappropriate racist and other offensive material

On Wed, Mar 13, 2002 at 06:04:14PM +0000, Lazarus Long wrote:
> Again,  there is no excuse for racism in Debian.  Other packages have
> elided the inappropriate material in the past, as they should.  An IRC

An ill service to those who find censorship offensive. Which packages are
you referring to, by the way?

> client has no business being racist.  Debian is a distribution that
> specifically caters to children; note the debian-junior project.  As it
> stands, your package is inappropriate to be on the box my daughter uses.

Then uninstall it. There are alternatives. I have been very successful
with that approach - for example, I don't install the "verse" or
"display-dhammapada" packages, other people may decide not to install
the offensive fortunes, or nethack, or ...

This is a delicate matter, of course - it's difficult to draw a line at
something when the surface is so uneven and the tip of the pencil is so
dull, metaphorically speaking. There certainly is some software I would
not like to see in Debian (hint: I am German). Yet I am convinced that
an argument along the lines of "there is no excuse for N in Debian"
is too coarse to apply to almost any N. In particular when there are
alternatives.

And if you don't like any one of the alternatives either, you are entirely
free to generate a version more tailored to your taste, Debian being a
free software system.

Florian