Re: Debian joning OASIS?

On Mon, 11 Mar 2002 22:58, Chad C. Walstrom wrote:
> Honestly, I find $1000 membership fee for an organization is enough to
> raise an eyebrow or two.  I make no pre-judgements about these things,

Compare it to other standards organizations...

I have not done any formal survey of standards bodies, but on the few
occasions I've looked into entry fees they generally started at above $5K US
and offer less than we get.  For $5K you expect to have only one named
delegate to any meeting of the standards body and some requirement for notice
if you change your delegate (you can't just have a reserved seat and send the
person who has nothing to do on that day).

The fees used would go to promoting the specs produced (no point devising a
spec and having it ignored), arranging physical meetings, running servers for
web sites (and they aren't cluey like us so this would really cost them),
publishing and distributing drafts on paper, and other things that we don't
bother much with.  But as with many things, you pay the membership if you
think you get enough benefit to justify it, not because you think that the
majority of membership funds go to things you like.