Re: Debconf is not executed during installation, but with dpkg-reconfigure

On Sat, Mar 09, 2002 at 01:03:57PM -0500, Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 09, 2002 at 12:27:31PM -0500, Ben Collins wrote:
> > Does your postinst call any debhelper functions? The only way it gets
> > run during dpkg -i is by postinst loading the Debconf module, and then
> > Debconf triggering the .config.
>
> More particularly, add this to your postinst:
>
> . /usr/share/debconf/confmodule
>

> Extra brownie points for making lintian notice this.  It bit me twice
> already.

The checks I added months ago should spot this ...

Tag: postinst-does-not-load-confmodule
Type: warning
Info: Even if your postinst does not involve debconf, you currently need to
 make sure it loads one of the debconf libraries. This will be changed in
 the future.

They won't spot mistakes where you have the sourcing command surrounded
by a conditional that doesn't fire, but apart from that they should pick
this kind of thing up OK.