Re: Woody release notes

Rob Bradford wrote:
> 3. General problems/fixes, if there are any other problems let me know.

| Aptitude may even replace dselect as the default in the basic installation.

Not for woody, unfortunatly.  This will happen in the next release.

| The following command will show any packages which have a status of
| Half-Installed or Failed-Config, and those with any error status.
|  # dpkg -l | grep '^.[HF][^ ]'

Um, what's wrong with dpkg --audit? Anyway, that command line does not
seem to really work all that well. Compare:

joey@silk:~> dpkg -l | grep '^.[HF][^ ]'
zsh: done       dpkg -l |
zsh: exit 1     grep '^.[HF][^ ]'
joey@silk:~>dpkg -C
The following packages have been unpacked but not yet configured.
They must be configured using dpkg --configure or the configure
menu option in dselect for them to work:
 quake2               popular 3D first person shooter game (engine only)

The following packages are only half configured, probably due to problems
configuring them the first time.  The configuration should be retried using
dpkg --configure <package> or the configure menu option in dselect:
 quake2-data          Installer for Quake II data files

| It is important that the /etc/rcS.d directory exists prior to the upgrade;
| the installation of the libc6 package will fail otherwise.

Shouldn't this bug in libc6 be fixed?

| You should not be doing any major package upgrades with default access
|  methods in dselect,

Um, apt _is_ the default access method in dselect, and has been for years.
So this is a little unclear.

--
see shy jo