Re: feedback wanted alternative Debian installation system

On Wed, Feb 27, 2002 at 03:38:51AM -0500, Branden Robinson wrote:
> [Please note the Mail-Followup-To header.]
>
> Hi folks.
>
> I sent an ITP about this package, but thought I would do a more proper
> announcement now that it's in auric's queue/new.
>
> One thing that Debian routinely gets dumped on about is its installer.
> One thing that Progeny Debian got postitive reviews about was its
> installer.
>
> Because of that, some of us at Progeny have spent some time whipping the
> installer we used for the Progeny Debian product into something that
> could be useful to Debian.  We decided to call it "PGI", which is short
> for "Progeny Graphical Installer".  I pronounce it "piggy", but you can
> pronounce it however you want.  :)
>
> The current version is 0.9.4.1, and I'd like to solicit feedback from
> Debian Developers to help us determine what needs to be done with PGI
> to make it worthy of a 1.0 version number.  PGI is in a late-beta stage
> and has been successfully used to install woody systems many times.
>
> Currently, PGI supports the i386 and ia64 architectures.  I personally
> am very interested in seeing it support other architectures as well.
>
> Note that PGI is not intended to supplant any other Debian installers,
> but rather to present an alternative to them.  I'm especially thinking
> of it as something that independent CD vendors can use to boost their
> Debian sales.  If people are intimidated by the reputation of Debian's
> standard installer, perhaps we can get Debian into more people's hands
> with an alternative installer that uses X.
>
> Also please be aware that even though Progeny developed PGI, it is now
> just as much a part of Debian as any other package with an external
> upstream (or, it will be as soon as it's approved by the archive
> maintainers).
>
> Until katie has processed the pgi package, you can review the current
> package at the following URL:
>
> http://hackers.progeny.com/pgi/

The apt source mentioned on the page:

 PGI Debian packages are available. Add the the following lines to your /etc/apt/sources.list file or browse the archive.

   deb http://hackers.progeny.com/pgi M4/apt/$(ARCH)/

seems to be broken:

mrmime:/home/eric# !grep
grep progeny /etc/apt/sources.list
deb http://hackers.progeny.com/pgi unstable/apt/$(ARCH)/
mrmime:/home/eric# apt-get update
Hit http://hackers.progeny.com unstable/apt/i386/ Packages
Ign http://hackers.progeny.com unstable/apt/i386/ Release
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
mrmime:/home/eric# apt-cache show pgi
W: Unable to locate package pgi
mrmime:/home/eric#

--
Eric VAN BUGGENHAUT     "Hay tampones y tampones..." (Eva Serrano)
			Andago