Re: feedback wanted alternative Debian installation system

On Thu, Feb 28, 2002 at 11:05:57AM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> If it can only be done over NFS, how is this any better than just having
> a traditional NFS mounted boot-floppies root image? Unlike the rest of
> the stuff, I don't really see how this is a particularly interesting
> "feature" of PGI. Any chance of getting that expounded upon?

I wasn't aware that there was such a thing as a "traditional NFS-mounted
boot-floppies root image".

In any event, such a thing would be limited to the feature set that
boot-floppies support, right?  PGI, as can be seen from the rest of the
feature list, takes a different approach.

One real world application of the NFS-based live filesystem that we
found useful was speeding the debugging cycle.  We didn't have to wait
for a CD burn if what we were testing didn't affect the kernel or
initrd.

Or maybe I'm not understanding what you're asking me to elaborate upon?

--
G. Branden Robinson                |    Optimists believe we live in the
Debian GNU/Linux                   |    best of all possible worlds.