Re: feedback wanted alternative Debian installation system

On Wed, Feb 27, 2002 at 07:01:44PM +0100, Romain Lerallut wrote:
> Thus spake Branden Robinson on Wed, Feb 27, 2002 at 03:38:51AM -0500:
> > The current version is 0.9.4.1, and I'd like to solicit feedback from
> > Debian Developers to help us determine what needs to be done with PGI
> > to make it worthy of a 1.0 version number.  PGI is in a late-beta stage
> > and has been successfully used to install woody systems many times.
>
> I've heard that the Mandrake installer had a nice feature: the
> ability to save all the choices on a diskette at the end of the
> process, and thus automate similar installs, by inserting the
> diskette.

This is supported by a separate Progeny project which is already in the
Debian archives, called "autoinstall".

PGI already pushes network and X server configuration to the debconf
database on the target system.

It wouldn't take much glue to take this concept farther, but it's a
"second stage" thing.  See Chapter 5 of _Creating Debian Installers with
PGI_.

http://hackers.progeny.com/pgi/guide/

--
G. Branden Robinson                |     There's nothing an agnostic can't
Debian GNU/Linux                   |     do if he doesn't know whether he