Re: feedback wanted alternative Debian installation system

On Wed, Feb 27, 2002 at 04:53:50PM +0200, Dmitry Borodaenko wrote:
> Our team is now in deep QA mode, so I can't spare a single machine to
> test PGI on real hardware. Is there any way to dry-run in isolated
> environment?

You could try VMWare, but I haven't tested this since I don't own a copy
of it.

> I have some questions on features too. I feel like I'm nitpicking, but
> if I get confused, maybe feature descriptions need to be more clear?
>
> On Wed, Feb 27, 2002 at 03:38:29AM -0500, Branden Robinson wrote:
> <...>
> >      * Even when the X Window System is unavailable, PGI's text mode
> >        spares the Linux novice the intimidation of a shell prompt. The
> >        dialog utility is used to provide a friendly,
> >        menu-and-button-driven interface to the text-mode installer.
>
> Does it mean that the invaluable shell in second virtual console is
> gone?

Nope, it's still there.  And four more on VTs 3 through 6.

> >      * PGI is boot-loader agnostic. On the x86 platform, PGI uses GNU
> >        GRUB for a friendly, menu-driven boot loader. GNU GRUB also
> >        supports a powerful command-line interface at boot time, if the
> >        user elects to use it. On the IA-64 platform, elilo is used, and
> >        the Linux kernel's interface to EFI variables are used to update
> >        the boot menu in the system firmware.
>
> Boot-loader agnostic == GRUB only (for x86)? Does it provide an option
> to install LILO instead?

This isn't implemented but the hooks are in place.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |     If you have the slightest bit of
Debian GNU/Linux                   |     intellectual integrity you cannot