Re: packages tasksel expects to find in woody, that arn't there

On Tue, Feb 26, 2002 at 11:07:49AM -0500, Joey Hess wrote:
> aj reminded me that there was a reason we were trying to avoid using
> meta/task packages -- at least big ones that have the potential to go
> boom easily, and the above is why. On the other hand I don't want to
> have to track what is in the kde package by hand. So I have implemented
> something in tasksel that will automatically explode the task package
> into its dependancies and list all of those. Tasksel need only be
> rebuilt when the deps change.

I'd like to see that.  Are end-users able to use that or is it just
a developer tool?

Ideally, debian jr. would be structured as a set of checkboxes in
tasksel that only appear when the top level package is selected.  i
could then include the entire set of components (the current junior-
meta packages) and have only the default ones checked by default.  the
tasksel user could then refine their selection as needed.  If tasksel is
ever modified to do this, a "hide/show" toggle may be needed to hide
exploded lists of subtasks.

Of course now, this close to releasing woody is not the time to be
pursuing this in earnest.  Just food for thought post-woody.

Ben