Re: LSB package for Debian: final(?) release candidate

[Not sure if you want a CC or not.  I don't have "magic header
detection" on, so I'll err on the side of caution... :)]

On Feb 25, Joey Hess wrote:
> Chris Lawrence wrote:
> > FYI: I have a release candidate of the lsb package (version 1.1.0-3)
> > available at:
> >
> > http://people.debian.org/~lawrencc/
>
> This package contains a number of directories that are already in
> base-files. In particular, all the /opt crap. base-files already
> includes all that, at least it makes them on new installs. It does not
> force you to have them, and if you rmdir them it won't put them
> back.
[good points snipped]
> You cannot just include /usr/local/games in a package; that is a clear
> violation of policy. Installing of this package will fail on systems
> where /usr/local is not mounted writable.
>
>      Since `/usr/local' can be mounted read-only from a remote server,
>      these directories must be created and removed by the `postinst' and
>      `prerm' maintainer scripts and not be included in the `.deb' archive.
>      These scripts must not fail if either of these operations fail.
>
> Anyway, base-files creates /usr/local/games at the same time it creates the
> rest of /usr/local.

Ah... I see they're created in the postinst of base-files.  I'll
remove the offending directories.

> (I also don't understand why it contains a /lib directory, but that is
> minor.)

There's a symlink that's installed in /lib by the package, hence why
/lib is included.  For some reason, it's the last thing in the tar
file in the archive.

> The note about how to install lsb apps on debian should perhaps be a bit
> closer to the top of the file.

Probably.  I'll rearrange and put together a -4 release.

Chris
--
Chris Lawrence <lawrencc@debian.org> - http://www.lordsutch.com/chris/