Re: diversion/conffile

On Wed, Feb 20, 2002 at 04:02:40PM -0600, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>  >> >> You can not divert conffiles.  I've tried.  And I am a dpkg devloper.
>  >>
>  Josip> Sure you can, we've been doing it for years now :) It doesn't
>  Josip> actually work 100% but hey...
>
> 	I was somewhat surprised by this light hearted flaunting of a
>  policy violation.  I can see that policy is not exactly seen to be
>  writ in stone, but I would have thought that policy violations by
>  design would be at least discussed here, and perhaps noted as  an
>  exception to the rule because there is not other reasonable
>  solution.

I picked it up from the previous xinetd maintainer. It was working, there
didn't seem to be a better way, nobody complained, so it stayed. Nobody ever
pointed at the problem, that is the only reason why it was not discussed.

I'm no longer maintaining xinetd, BTW.

>  Josip> Oh and if this request is related to
>
>  >> preparing to file a serios bug against linuxlogo unless conviced otherwise
>
>  Josip> then the explanation, IIRC, is that xinetd can't conflict with
>  Josip> netkit-inetd because netbase depends on it, and xinetd depends
>  Josip> on netbase.
>
> 	Well, unless a means is found to have the packages cooperate,
>  this is a serious bug against xinetd, isn't it?
>
> 	Perhaps the solution would be to have update-inetd somehow
>  accommodate both xinted and netkit-inetd, and then have a virtual inetd
>  package provided by both, and have netbase depend of this virtual
>  inetd package (perhaps not called inetd to allow us not to deal with
>  versioned virtual depends).

Yes, that would be The Right Way(tm) to fix this, but update-inetd doesn't
support writing xinetd.conf. This has been filed as a bug, and someone
(Peter Makholm, I think?) worked on it. I don't think it ever got completely
fixed, unfortunately.

> 	This is what the dpkg maintainer says about what xinetd does
>  right now:
>
>  Adam> Whenever the diverted conffile is modified upstream, dpkg
>  Adam> chokes during it's installation.  Verified by trying it, and by
>  Adam> walking dpkg's code.
>  Adam> That part of dpkg's code is very hairy.

Yes, and this has been filed as a bug, like I said before. Adam said
"chokes", but it doesn't actually cause any major damage, AFAICT.

So I don't actually see what practical reason is there to declare this a
serious bug on xinetd and thus prevent it from releasing.

--
     2. That which causes joy or happiness.