Re: diversion/conffile

On Wed, 20 Feb 2002, Josip Rodin wrote:

> >  Adam> Whenever the diverted conffile is modified upstream, dpkg
> >  Adam> chokes during it's installation.  Verified by trying it, and by
> >  Adam> walking dpkg's code.
> >  Adam> That part of dpkg's code is very hairy.
>
> Yes, and this has been filed as a bug, like I said before. Adam said
> "chokes", but it doesn't actually cause any major damage, AFAICT.

Actually, it does.  You can loose the new upstream conffile, when it has
changed.

I verified it when I tried it with some new debs I am working on, both by
experience, and again, looking at the code.  I have since come upon another
way to do what I need, without diverting a conffile, so I no longer remember
teh exact set of steps that occur in the situation.

Trust me, in that you do not want to ever divert a conffile.