Re: Debian is slower than time (was: adrian's 2.4.x packages)

I even have a problem with woody, potato is WAY out of date for use as a modern server. Just to give you an idea about woody, it can't be installed from ANY stock install media on the Compaq X386 based machines they are shipping now. You have to specifically ask for the older models because of the new raid card is not supported by official or supported unofficial(2.4.X kernel) boot disks/cd.

I don't have a problem with making the boot floppies (and not use the cds) to install these machines but when NOTHING works,(yes I tried the "compact" floppies) its hard for me to make Debian look good to management when they are looking over my shoulder while I'm installing some new machines... I do prefer Debian over RedHat especially for use as a server however it must be installable...

Just my $0.02
Loren

At 09:51 AM 02/20/2002 -0500, Michael Stone wrote:
On Wed, Feb 20, 2002 at 11:25:06AM +0100, Peter Mathiasson wrote:
> I've always seen that as a plus. Great for servers, no?

Not really. potato is lacking large file support, journalling
filesystems, a decent out-of-box raid, etc. Hell, a lot of new hardware
isn't even capabable of installing potato.

--
Mike Stone