Re: diversion/conffile

also sprach Colin Watson <cjwatson@debian.org> [2002.02.19.1347 +0100]:
> If it's in /etc, please allow the sysadmin to change it, even if it
> doesn't seem to you that it might be needed.

okay. so maybe you can advice me. i am providing an add-on to an
existing daemon. in order for the add-on to be effective, i need to
use a different init.d script. i also would like to disable the
original init.d script with chmod 0 since it's not needed and might
actually lead to security problems.

to stay independent of the original package, i wanted to reuse the
/etc/rc?.d links, and effectively divert the original init.d script
out of the way before placing my init.d script into that very
position, so that the links in /etc/rd?.d will simply apply to mine.
however, because the original package lists its init.d script as
conffile, i can't install my version via debian/rules. postinst is an
option, but i still don't like the situation of that file being
a conffile of another package. obviously.

so right now, i install the add-on init.d script under a different
name, update-rc.d to remove the original init.d script's rc?.d
entries, chmod 0 it, and then add rc?.d entries with update-rc.d for
my new script. this makes lintian bitch about extra update-rc.d calls
in {post,pr}{inst,rm} scripts, and it also means that i am (a)
hardcoding the update-rc.d parameters of the original package into
mine since i restore the initial situation on an apt-get remove. and
(b) if a sysadmin decided to modify the init.d script's position in
the rc?.d startup sequence, i overwrite this modification.
unacceptable.

but i can't seem to find a way around this. any clues?

all i ask of life is a constant and
exaggerated sense of my own importance.