Re: exploring debian's users and groups

On Sun, Feb 03, 2002 at 02:26:04PM +0100, Wichert Akkerman wrote:
> Previously Norbert Veber wrote:
>
> > What are the reasons for not adding this to policy?
>
> It doesn't need to be an policy, that doesn't add anything to it.

Wichert, I'm baffled as to why you think this.  A description of
standard users and groups isn't very useful unless there are
guidelines for how Debian packages should use them.  Why is that any
less appropriate for policy than, say, how packages should lock mail
spools?  There are already guidelines on UID and GID classes.  How
is specifying the use of specific users and groups any different?

I see a tremendous amount to gain by making this policy.

Andrew