Re: It's Huntin' Season

 Thomas> Manoj Srivastava <srivasta@debian.org> writes:
 >> I would also like to state that start files are used as a
 >> convenient vehicle to add site wide configuration to emacs packages,
 >> and this is a feature that I would strongly oppose being taken away
 >> from the end user.

 Thomas> When I install an emacsy package, I expect that the Right Thing will
 Thomas> go into site-start.d, and if I want to override what it does, I do so
 Thomas> in exactly the same way I do for those things that were part of GNU
 Thomas> Emacs itself: I set variable in my .emacs file.

	Umm. Except that I think that giving users more choice --
 giving the sysadmin a choice about setting local site defaults can
 only be good.

 Thomas> Surely, anytime a site-start.d file is setting variables, it
 Thomas> should do so in such a way that the user can set them himself
 Thomas> in .emacs and have the Right Thing happen.

	That is on a per user basis. I may have things I want done on
 my machine that work for _all_ users -- hay. my machine, my rules,
 right?

 Thomas> But the provision of the default, that is not necessarily a
 Thomas> configuration option.  (Just as, for example, those things
 Thomas> compiled into a program are not configurations.)

	It all comes down to whether allowing (and preserving) local
 changes to these configuraion options is a good thing or not.

	I vote for things staying under /etc, and being configuration files.

	manoj
--
 A hypothetical paradox: What would happen in a battle between an
 Enterprise security team, who always get killed soon after appearing,