Re: SPAM vs. open list

On Sat, Feb 09, 2002 at 10:10:58PM -0800, Joseph Carter wrote:
> So the real question is, do we want to bellyache about spam on the Debian
> lists, or do we want to do something productive about it?  I have spam
> filters that catch nearly all the spam I get myself, but I choose not to
> apply them to Debian lists because I only check the collection of messages
> caught by it every three months or so.

FWIW I've just recently installed spamassassin and some other charset filters.
I subscribe to something like twenty Debian addresses (be it mailing lists
or aliases), and in the last ten days those filters have stopped over seven
hundred spams, five or six valid mails, and let through about ten spams.

Just a few people could check the possibly-junk mailbox for each mailing
list. Even those the size of -devel, because spammers don't know nor care if
their mail reaches 1800 or 8 people, they spam every one of the addresses in
their list equally, you've got to give them credit for not being
discriminatory in that aspect :) And everything would seem to work much
better, without the non-subscriber warning things.

--
     2. That which causes joy or happiness.