Re: kernel-linux-*, generic build process

On Sat, 9 Feb 2002, Joey Hess wrote:

> Adam Heath wrote:
> > On Sat, 9 Feb 2002, Joey Hess wrote:
> >
> > > I don't think I've broken backwards compatability in debhelper in about
> > > oh, 3 years. Of course that's not really what you mean, and I still have
> > > no idea what doogie is getting at WRT security and dpkg-source v2.
> >
> > That's because I mistyped.  I meant upgradability, not security.
>
> Well I don't understand that either. There are many, many pitfalls
> building packages from unstable on stable, which is the only
> upgradability issue I can think of here. People deal, and they would
> learn quickly enough that they need a new dpkg-source.

So, the new dpkg(that contains the new dpkg-source) would have to be built
with an old dpkg-source.  This is not something I want to deal with, and is
too prone to error.

It is much easier to just wait until the new featureful dpkg-source is in
debian stable.