Re: ssh protocols

On 06 Feb 2002 16:53:28 -0500
"Bob Hilliard" <hilliard@debian.org> wrote:

>      From the CONFIGURATION FILES section of the ssh (OpenSSH)
manpage:>
>      Protocol
>              Specifies the protocol versions ssh should support in
order of>              preference.  The possible values are ``1'' and
``2''.  Multiple>              versions must be comma-separated.  The
default is ``2,1''.  This>              means that ssh tries version 2
and falls back to version 1 if>              version 2 is not available.

>      Apparently the various Debian machines are all running a version
> of ssh that recognizes only Protocol 1.  The cited quotation from the
> manpage suggests that the default value should allow a machine running
> OpenSSH to ssh into a Debian machine, but, as we all know, it is
> necessary to specify Protocol 1 (ssh -1).  Setting "Protocol 1,2" in
> ~.ssh/config permits accessing either a Debian machine or a machine
> running OpenSSH.
>
>      It appears that there is a bug either in ssh or in its
> documentation.  Which is it?

Looks that way to me too, see bug #127426

Glenn