opinions on "checkinstall" packaging util?

so after trying unsuccesfully to modify the debian/rules file of the
debianized postgresql source, I went on a hunt to find what is essentially
a wrapper for installing apps, and having them interface with the apt
database for removal, and upgrading.

I found "checkinstall" (http://asic-linux.com.mx/~izto/checkinstall/), and
it looks like what I need for those wiley apps that have debian/rules
files that cannot easily be modified to the users liking...

anyone play with this app, or any other that seems like it would make this
process a little bit less painful?

thanks!
-lev

--
personal site  :: www.sonous.com
rave site      :: raves.sonous.com

"You lefties are the Macs of the world" -Leon Simmonds