Re: kernel-linux-*, generic build process

> and dpkg-source v2 will.  But that's not out yet.  And when it is out, it'll
> be years before we can use it(the new dpkg-source will have to be in a stable
> version of debian before it's features can be used).

Why? Debhelper isn't always 100% compatible anyway, is it?
Same for depdendencies. Plain "bzip2" does exist on stable.

So if somebody needs to build a unstable package on a stable system,
he will need enough knowledge how to unpack and patch this anyway, as
he'll probably need to modify the debian/rules anyway.
At least i had to do this on package i built on my stable system.
Often reducing the debhelper compatibility level helped, though.
(maybe this will always help, but you'll at least not get an as good
package, so it will need some tweaking)
So we could probably add a "Build-Depends: dpkg-bzip2"? ;)

Greetings,
Erich