Re: Upstream debian/ directory

Matt Zimmerman <mdz@debian.org> writes:

> On Wed, Feb 06, 2002 at 04:14:43PM -0800, Wesley W. Terpstra wrote:
>
> > Obviously, I'm not advocating this for all packages. However, in some
> > cases I think this makes sense. Especially if the debian developer works
> > very closely with the upstream developer.
> >
> > What are other peoples thoughts on this?
>
> It sometimes makes sense to have the debian/ directory in upstream CVS, but
> NOT in the upstream tarball.  This is essentially mixing two packages which
> have different goals and different release schedules.  The debian/ directory
> in an upstream tarball will, at best, always be out of date (unless new
> upstream releases are made just for Debian-specific changes), and at worse,
> completely broken on some or all Debian releases.

An upstream tarball is out of date anyway :-;

I think it is a good idea to let users build there Debian packages out
of the tarball. If there is anything is wrong with debian/, they can
use CVS to get the newest stuff.

IMHO bugs in debian/ are not different from bugs in the software
itself, so your argumentation is not right.

Ciao
        Racke

--
Think of it !

For projects and other business stuff please refer to COBOLT NetServices