Re: Upstream debian/ directory

Wesley W. Terpstra <wesley@terpstra.ca> wrote:
[...]
> Users may want the package for a frozen distribution (say potato). You can't
> retroactively put it in potato. However, to assist these users, having
> packing information upstream allows them to build a package with minimal
> know-how.

> Putting up an alternative apt source is of course one option, but in this
> way it's all together; the user doesn't have to go hunting. Also, it's a
> more credible source than some back-alley url run by a shifty-eyed dude who
> *claims* he's a debian-developer.[...]

They don't need to go looking in "some back-alley url" for *source*
packages. Just point apt's deb-src-entries to sid and do apt-get
source.

> Presently, RPMs work this way---many packages include the .spec file with
> the tar.gz [...]

And many of them are of very poor quality, e.g. not using
buildroot correctly (they often miss /etc or /var), or are without
modification only buildable as root.
[...]

In my (small) experience upstream might be good at coding but both
Debian and RedHat are better at packaging.
                  cu andreas
--
Unofficial _Debian-packages_ of latest _tin_
http://www.logic.univie.ac.at/~ametzler/debian/tin-snapshot/