Re: postgresql compilation from source...

On Wed, Feb 06, 2002 at 10:45:43PM -0800, Lev Lvovsky wrote:

> On Thu, 7 Feb 2002, Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:
>
> thanks for the quick response!
>
> this is my first attempt with compiling debian source, so I may have just
> gotten a tougher package than most...

Probably, postgresql is not a simple package.

> > I find that you generally have to edit the debian/rules file and fix the
> > ./configure line there. Also, I recommend using debuild binary to do the
> > build other some permissions may not come out right (fixes umask).
>
> the problem is that the script also has mentions of python interspersed
> throughout it (in the install section too).  I don't know if it's meant to
> skip this part w/o errors, but editting it has caused some perl problems
> now (which are fixable if I compile the Makefile.pl after it errors
> out, and then proceed to buildpackages w/o cleaning).
>
> I guess the reason why I wanted to do all of this in the first place is to
> have a system of upgrading packages easily, assuming they're built the way
> that I want them to be.  So far, this has been a rather disheartening
> experience with my favorite linux distro :(
>
> What's the point of compiling debianized things from source if it's not
> garaunteed to work with the various combinations of compile options?

Well, the rules file builds a package with a given set up options. The
install done by the Makefile might not be right so there may be some
shuffling around after.

In theory it would be possible to put:

OPTIONS=perl python...

at the beginning of the rules file and have the rest of the rules file adapt
to this. It would make it more complicated but it's nice. For example, some
debian packages (like php) are built with many options included but I didn't
want them. So I had to comment stuff out.

If you want to submit a patch to make it easy, go ahead. But it's not
something many debian packages are built towards.

HTH,
--
Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog@svana.org>
http://svana.org/kleptog/