Re: It's Huntin' Season

On Wed, 6 Feb 2002, Manoj Srivastava wrote:

> >>"Adam" == Adam Heath <doogie@debian.org> writes:
>
>  Adam> No, they should be blamed.  Debian Policy is very blunt in this
>  Adam> manner.  Files in /etc are configuration files.  Files in /etc
>  Adam> shipped in debs are conffiles, and must not be modified by
>  Adam> scripts.
>
> 	And where exactly does Emacs policy contradict this?

I never said it contradicted.

Emacs policy doesn't say whether the files should be conffiles or
configuration files.  So some have taken that to mean they don't have to be
conffiles or configuration files.  However, Debian policy states quite plainly
that they should be treated as such.

It's this that I am commenting about.  People are pointing at Emacs Policy,
saying it doesn't say anythign about this, so that means they can ignore this
part of Debian Policy.  And that is what is wrong.