Re: kernel-linux-*, generic build process

On Wed, Feb 06, 2002 at 05:44:05PM +0100, Erich Schubert wrote:
> BTW: I really would like having a more-freebsd-port-like build system.
> I happen to not like freebsd much, yet, but i consider it a good idea to
> be able to use upstream tarballs without modification for freebsd,
> netbsd and debian as well.
> So i don't like the .diff's much (apart from all this uuencoding of
> binary files etc. ;)
> I think it would be better if we had a tarball containing the debian
> dir, and a second tarball that is just copied into the build directory.
>
> mypackage-version/debian/*
> mypackage-version/unmodified-upstream.tar.gz
>
> It shouldn't be hard to write build scripts that extract the upstream
> tarball, apply a patch similar to the old diff, and the run the old
> build script...

Isn't this what apt-get source does now? Except it uses the upstream
tarball from the debian archive, rather than relying on the user to
supply the correct one. And extracts it before building, so that changes
can actually be made against the upstream tarball, and looked after
for you in a diff file of some kind.

I think you might want to have a look at Sorcerer, which does more
like what you want. I don't see how it's better, but I can see how
it's worse. Especially for me where the Debian mirror is free, but I
have to pay per MB for most upstream tarballs. :-)

http://www.distrowatch.com/review-sorcerer.php
http://sorcerer.wox.org/

> Harder to maintain, but neater for upgrades, is the build system as used
> by the xfree packages and freebsd ports, where on each build the source
> tarball is extracted, then a whole bunch of patches is applied.

Same for apache. Makes it a real bitch to try and make a small
modification to the source, and recompile. And if I just want to
_look_ at the source, then I have to extract it somewhere else,
and apply the various patches to try and track down the Debian-specific
change that I'm looking for.

Paul "TBBle" Hampson, MCSE
Paul.Hampson@Anu.edu.au

Of course Pacman didn't influence us as kids. If it did,
we'd be running around in darkened rooms, popping pills and
listening to repetitive music.

use, duplication and distribution.